Saturday 19 March 2011

Hair Colour Remover - Jo Baz


Today I am reviewing the Hair Colour Remover by Jo Bazz. I have to stress that this is not the same product as Colour B4 by Scott Cornwall, so even though they do the same thing you might not get the same result. For more information on Colour B4 Products, please see Scott Cornwalls Facebook Page

Colour B4 My Story



I purchased Hair Colour Remover after I saw the advert for Colour B4. I have really dark black hair and regretted dying it so dark as I'm quite pale, and I looked washed out. I decided to do, as many of you have done, and decided to look at reviews. As I said I have dark black hair so didn't want to waste money on a product that wouldn't work! Anyways, a lot of the reviews were looking good and said this product worked for them on all sorts of coloured hair. So the next day (Thursday 11th March 2011) I went into my local Boots, Superdrugs, Pharmacys and Sainsburys and not much of a surprise, they were completly sold out! Slowly getting dissapointed I finally went into Savers and saw this product Hair Colour Remover on their shelves. I was studying the box and finally thought - sod it! I bought two boxes of Hair Colour Remover Extra Strength which is specifically for dark hair. They also have a hair colour remover regular for the lighter shades. I also bought a box of hair dye as a back up. In total this cost me around £16, so a lot cheaper than the Colour B4 which is currently £10 - £13 a box for the extra strength. 


As soon as I got home, I decided to try the hair colour remover out! In the box you get three bottles, instructions & a pair of gloves. Please remember, you have to read all of the instructions and do as they say! I'm like many that try and skip through sections but if you do that with Hair Colour Remover you'll be dissapointed. 


Part 1 - As other hair dyes, you have to mix two bottles, bottle A - Activiator and bottle B - Remover. Pour the contents of Bottle A into Bottle B and shake for 30 seconds, I normally do this for a little bit longer just to make sure that it is mixed together. Also what you could do, is pour the contents of the two bottles into a bowl, mix it and apply to your air by using a brush. Once the soloution in Bottle B has been made up, make sure you apply it to your hair as quickly as possible as the soloution will work better. You will notice that as you put it on it has a bit of a smell to it, but this does fade once its rinsed off.  On the instructions of the hair colour remover it tells you to leave it in your hair for 20 minutes, however as mine was a darker shade I left it on for 60 minutes after some advice and was told this would not damage my hair. Another thing to remember is to stay in a warm/hot room and/or put cling film on your hair as the heat will work better with the chemicals in the solution. I didn't put mine in cling film, just stayed in a warm room with the heater on.


Part 2  - After leaving the hair colour remover in your hair for 20 - 60 minutes, you simply wash it out. Best thing to do is to stand in the shower to do this as you have got to do this for a minimum of ten minutes. You can not cheat this as this is one of the most important steps, so please remember to take a stopwatch or a timer in the bathroom with you. I used my stopwatch on my mobile phone. This can seem like a long and daunting process, but remember, this is cheaper than a salon. As you are rinsing it out, you will notice that the colour of the water is still clear. Do not panic! I know I did when I first did it and didn't really notice a difference as i was washing it out, however you will see the end product. 


Part 3 - This is where you use half of the last bottle from the hair colour remover. This is called the buffer. You simply put half of the bottle in your hair and leave it in for two minutes. The buffer is the one of the most important steps in this as it will lift off the artifcial colour off your hair. It will also put your hair back in its natural condition, so be prepared! After you have left this in for two minutes, its time for your stopwatch again! This has to be rinsed out for a total of upto ten minutes. Five minutes for shorter hair, ten minutes for longer hair. I did mine for the full ten minutes even though I have short/medium length hair.  After you have done this, use the other half of the buffer bottle and use this as you would a shampoo, however rinse this out for two minutes. 


Part 4 - After you have completed buffing, you are now free to towel dry your hair. You will notice your hair might feel a bit knotty & dry but don't panic! I went and blow dryed my hair, without using other products, and my hair was actually left in a really good condition. This did surprise me as I have dyed my hair so many times over the past few years and have been between blonde and black, back to blonde so been bleached quite a lot! After I blow dryed my hair, this is the colour I was left with 


As you can see its lifted off the black! This is where I will be honest, the first time I did it, a bit of black was left in my hair so I did the next Hair Colour Remover box the following day as it was getting late and got my other half to put it in as it was mainly the back of my hair, so this picture was taken the second time I did it. That time I did use cling film rather than a heater as it was a sunny day anyways. Another tip that you can do is for the last five minutes, if you have cling film on your hair, use a hair dryer over it too as it helps with the heat. 


I personally think this is a great product to use, and a lot cheaper than the Scott Cornwall version (Colour B4) Just please remember not to use a permanment hair dye or bleach for two weeks after you have used the hair colour remover product. This is because it contains peroxide which can re-oxidise your hair, which is what you have just removed, and expands so your hair will actually go back to the colour you started with! For some reason, this can also happen with certain shampoos. So far I have only heard of this happening to Head & Shoulders, but to be on the safe side, I have used Johnsons Baby Shampoo & Herbal Essances Conditioner for straight hair and my hair has been fine. However, you are free to use a temporary colour as this contains no peroxide straight away after using hair colour remover.


Also remember, hair colour remover can not take you back to your natural shade after you have bleached it. It will simply take a lot of the artificial hair colour out and leave you to a lighter shade. It will also not take you back to a grey colour & hair colour remover can not remove the colour from your roots as this is your natural shade.


Hair Colour Remover is currently in Savers only - £5.95 for the regular & £6.95 for the extra strength, however you can by it on the internet from http://www.idealworld.tv which is £8.99 plus P&P if you do not have a Savers store locally.  Please visit http://www.savers.co.uk/ to find your local store.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this - I bought this a couple of days ago and have been too apprehensive to give it a shot! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this. im reading it now whilst using two packs of the extra strength on my long hair. i had used a red dye on top of my other red, which came out more burgundy and too dark. so im using this now, then plan to put a lighter red on it. it says you can dye it straight away in the instructions though??.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi yeah you CAN dye it straight away after, HOWEVER, be prepared for it to go back to the dark red you had. Its got something to do with the ammonia in the permanent dyes, that react to the chemicals in the buffer, you can dye it with a temporary hair colour with no problems.

    However, saying that, my mother in law had purple hair, used Hair Colour Remover, dyed it with a permanent colour (brown) and she has a purple tint with the brown now. So, it is a risk really.

    Hope it works out for you amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh thanks, well the red is on now im sat by my fire with cling film on my head. heres hoping! ill post again later to let you know what it turned otu liek incase yoru curious.. :/ lolx

    ReplyDelete
  5. excuse the spelling on the last post i had a bit of the ol dye on my fingers. but its turned out great! its lighter at the top and gradually darker towards the ends, but looks like high/lowlights. so im pleased for a change1 ciao :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey is this available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted something new from my blonde hair so I put red and purple in my hair, and then I got tired of that and I though if I went black it would be easier to do that then take the red out of the blonde... well now I want my blonde back.. and I was wondering if I use this, and try to bleach my hair blonde.. will it work, and will it have any affects on it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used JoBaz max strength 3 times now, and it works immediately after use but each time it goes significantly darker within a week. I understand that this is because the colour molecules of dye that are not washed out are re-expanding, (I followed the instructions for application PRECISELY, and even rinsed for twice the recommended time). My question is, is this always going to happen or is there something I can do to prevent it? Leaving it on longer/using a different shampoo afterwards/re-dyeing it immediately afterwards? Or am I just going to be wasting time and money?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I have heard that 'live' hair color can not be used after color b4 as it reacts and break off the hair, is it the same for the jobaz stripper? As I really want to use a live hd colour.

    ReplyDelete